Academies of Distinction
Building on its history of success in career technical education, Pinellas County Schools is moving into a new era with Academies of Distinction that will provide students with a 21st Century industry-based education that leads to the acquisition of a specific demonstrated skill set leading to employment or continuing education.
Each class will be taught by a certified teacher who also holds industry-based credentials or certification specific to the Academy of Distinction. Each student leaving an Academy of Distinction will have the opportunity to earn a traditional diploma, at least one industry certification, and be eligible for a Bright Futures/Gold Seal Scholarship.
Since 2015, ten Pinellas County high school career academy programs received Academy of Distinction Awards for their outstanding implementation and operation of their curriculum.
The schools honored by the Career Education Board in partnership with the district’s Department of Career Technical and Adult Education include:
- Boca Ciega High School - Center for Wellness and Medical Professions
- Clearwater High School - Academy For International Culture and Commerce (CAICC) & Academy of Science, Technology, Engineering, Aviation and Mathematics (STEAM)
- East Lake High School – Academy of Engineering & Business Technology Academy
- Northeast High School – Academy of Finance
- Palm Harbor University High School - The Center for Wellness and Medical Professions
- Pinellas Park High School - Academy of Criminal Justice & First Responders
- Tarpon Springs High School - Jacobson Culinary Arts Academy
“It is an extremely high honor,” said Superintendent Michael A. Grego, Ed.D. “ I want to publicly thank the Educational Foundation for working alongside this school district to promote career technical education.”